I absolutely love using my essential oils and I wanted a place I could always refer back to and share with friends and family who are just getting started about how they can start using the top 10 oils that feature in doTERRA’s most popular enrolment kits. These top 10 oils I’m talking about are six essential oils: Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Tea Tree and Oregano, and four essential oil blends: On Guard, Easy Air, DigestZen and Ice Blue. These top 10 are featured in these kits not because they are the most popular, although many of them are, but because they can provide support to over 80% of you and your families physical and emotional needs. Below I’ve written a little background about each oil, how it can support you physically and emotionally and five ways how you can start using each oil.
Lemon is such a cleansing and refreshing oil, both physically and emotionally. Lemon is a powerful cleansing agent that purifies the air and surfaces and also supports healthy digestive and respiratory function. Emotionally it is the Oil of Focus, engaging the mind and promoting concentration. Lemon can restore energy, mental flexibility, cam fears and insecurities and inspire playfulness and buoyancy in the heart. Here are five ways to use Lemon essential oil:
1. Add two drops to your water bottle to keep you feeling refreshed throughout the day.
2. Mix 10 drops with 1/2 cup white vinegar in a 500mL glass spray bottle topped with water for a great glass cleaner.
3. Diffuse throughout the day for an uplifting, energising and inspiring aroma.
4. Apply a couple drops direct to surfaces with sticky residue or permanent marker.
5. Add one drop of each Lemon, Lavender and Peppermint in a veggie capsule to protect against seasonal and environmental threats.
Lavender is an extremely versatile oil due to it’s calming properties which can promote peaceful sleep and ease feelings of stress and tension. Lavender is also amazing for all things skin related, reducing the appearance of redness and other skin imperfections as well as being soothing to minor skin abrasions. Emotionally it is the Oil of Communication and Calm and supports us to release tension that stems from withheld expression. It aids verbal expression, fear of rejection, racing thoughts and is calming to the mind and body. Here are five ways to use Lavender essential oil:
1. Inhale deeply from the bottle to promote feelings of relaxation and to calm anxious feelings.
2. Add five drops to a diffuser an hour before going to bed for a restful nights sleep.
3. Add five drops to a bath with some Epsom salts to promote deep relaxation before going to sleep.
4. Apply neat or mixed with fractionated coconut oil to soothe any skin irritations or burns.
5. Add to recipes that call for a floral hint such as muffins, loaves, cookies and icing.
Peppermint is an uplifting and refreshing oil and is very enlivening to the senses. It has a high menthol content which has the ability to cleanse and refresh. Peppermint can help alleviate stomach upset and supports healthy digestive and respiratory function. It’s aroma promotes a feeling of energy and alertness. Emotionally it is the Oil of a Buoyant Heart and brings joy and balance to the heart and soul. It invigorates us, bringing optimism and reminding us we don’t have to be controlled by fear, pain or despair. Here are five ways to use Peppermint essential oil:
1. Add a drop to your water bottle or under your tongue for an instant breath freshener.
2. Add 10 drops to a 30mL spritzer and fill with water for a cooling spray in summer or after a workout.
3. Diffuse three drops Peppermint with two drops Lemon to get your through the afternoon slump.
4. Add a few drops to your next batch of bliss balls or protein smoothie for a minty twist.
5. Peppermint aids in digestive discomfort and is great alternative to using DigestZen.
Frankincense is the king of all oils and the one to turn to when you’re unsure what oils to use. It promotes cellular health and regeneration, balances emotions and can reduce the appearance of skin imperfections. Frankincense is one of the only oils that can pass through the blood-brain barrier and therefore is very nourishing to the brain and nervous system. Emotionally it is the Oil of Truth and invites us to let go of negativity and create new perspectives based on truth and light. Frankincense heals those who feel abandoned and disconnected by reminding us we are loved and protected. Here are five ways to use Frankincense essential oil:
1. Inhale deeply from the bottle to promote calming feelings and to destress after a long day.
2. Add two drops to your moisturiser and apply to face for the appearance of a clear complexion.
3. Apply neat to your temples to lift your mood and increase alertness and productivity.
4. Diffuse two drops Frankincense with two drops Lavender to unwind at night.
5. Take a drop on your thumb and press to the roof of your mouth when experiencing head tension.
Tea Tree is another cleansing and purifying oil, both physically and emotionally and has been used for centuries in cleansing rituals. It is nature’s antiseptic which makes it a powerful oil to use for any skin irritation or abrasion and cleaning your home. Tea Tree also promotes healthy immune function. Emotionally it is the Oil of Energetic Boundaries and helps to clear negative energetic baggage. When feeling drained of life force and energy, Tea Tree aids us in creating healthy connections, relationships and boundaries. Here are five ways to use Tea Tree essential oil:
1. Use a drop neat or mixed with fractionated coconut oil as a spot treatment for skin blemishes.
2. Mix with Lavender and Frankincense for a no-sting solution to razor rash, cuts and bruises.
3. Diffuse three drops Tea Tree with two drops Lemon for that clean house smell.
4. Mix five drops with fractionated coconut oil and a little water for a nontoxic makeup brush cleaner.
5. Add 10 drops to spritzer with water and spray onto kids hair before school to prevent jumping critters.
Oregano is one of our powerhouse oils and often referred to as nature’s top shelf antibiotic. It’s cleansing and antioxidant properties support healthy digestion, immune and respiratory function. Emotionally it is the Oil of Humility and Non-Attachment which helps us to clear negativity and cut away negative attachments. Oregano has the power to break through strong will and teach humility by encouraging true spirituality and inviting us to live in non-attachment. Here are five ways to use Oregano essential oil:
1. Add one drop to your favourite Italian dishes and soup recipes for a burst of flavour.
2. Take two drops in a veggie capsule with olive oil for immune support when feeling under the weather.
3. Add five drops to a spray bottle and fill with water for a super protective surface cleaner.
4. Mix a drop with fractionated coconut oil to any skin imperfections every day until they fall off.
5. Diffuse one drop each of Oregano, Lemon, Frankincense, Tea Tree, and On Guard for the ultimate immune boosting blend.
On Guard is our Protective Blend and is made from a blend of Wild Orange, Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus and Rosemary. It provides a natural and effective alternative for immune support, protecting against seasonal and environmental threats. On Guard promotes healthy immune and cardiovascular function and can be used as a nontoxic cleaner around the home. Emotionally it is the Oil of Protection and supports us in warding off energetic parasites, domineering personalities and negative influences. It also provides us with inner strength to stand up for ourselves and live with integrity. Here are five ways to use On Guard essential oil blend:
1. Apply with fractionated coconut oil along the spine and bottoms of feet for everyday immune support.
2. Add a drop to your cooking apples for extra spice when baking apple crumble or apple pie for dessert.
3. Mix 10 drops with 1/2 cup white vinegar to a 500mL glass spray bottle with water for an intense surface spray.
4. Add five drops with a 1/4 cup of baking powder and sprinkle of white vinegar to clean your toilet bowl.
5. Add a drop to your toothpaste to support healthy oral hygiene and healthy gums.
Easy Air is our Clear Blend and is made from a blend of Laurel, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Lemon, Cardamom, Ravintsara and Ravensara. It provides a feeling of clear breathing and openness in the lungs allowing more oxygen to be inhaled. Easy Air supports our respiratory system by protecting us against seasonal and environmental threats. Emotionally it is the Oil of Breath and address the inability to let go of grief and pain. It encourages us to release grief and sadness and to be open to receive genuine love and healing. Here are five ways to use Easy Air essential oil blend:
1. Apply a drop to the chest with fractionated coconut oil to promote a feeling of decongestion and openness in the lungs.
2. Diffuse at night or apply to the bridge of the nose to help you or your significant other with snoring.
3. Diffuse with On Guard when you’re feeling under to weather and are struggling to fall asleep.
4. Deeply inhale from the bottle every hour when on a flight to keep nasal passages moist and ward of threats.
5. Diffuse after a long period of time with windows and doors shut to get rid of that stale smell.
DigestZen is our Internal Blend and is made from a blend of Anise, Peppermint, Ginger, Caraway, Coriander, Tarragon and Fennel. It supports the digestive process and helps maintain a healthy gastrointestinal tract. DigestZen aids in occasional stomach upset, motion sickness and indigestion. Emotionally it is the Oil of Digestion and provides support to those lacking interest in life and the physical world and those overwhelmed and overstimulated. It aids the body and mind in digesting life’s many experiences. Here are five ways to use DigestZen essential oil blend:
1. Apply two drops with fractionated coconut oil to your stomach in a clockwise direction to ease stomach discomfort.
2. Inhale to ease feelings of nausea and motion sickness or apply to the outside of your throat.
3. Take two drops in a veggie cap when you’ve overindulged to support a healthy and calm gut.
4. Apply to temples or bridge of the nose to help relieve built-up tension from stress or sinus pressure.
5. Add a drop to a glass of water and gargle to kill bad or stale breath.
Ice Blue is our Athletic Blend and is made from a blend of Wintergreen, Camphor, Peppermint, Ylang Ylang, Helichrysum, Blue Tansy, Blue Chamomile and Osmanthus. It soothes tired muscles and stiff joints by providing a cooling feeling to the skin. Emotionally it is the Oil of Surrendering Pain and supports those who resist or avoid the emotions that underlie their physical pain. It teaches us acceptance and tolerance of our pain and to embrace the lessons pain has to offer us. Here are five ways to use Ice Blue essential oil blend:
1. Apply with fractionated coconut oil to stiff joints and tight muscles for feelings of release.
2. Apply to targeted areas before and after working out for that cold-hot sensation.
3. Massage a drop with fractionated coconut oil to lower stomach and/or back when pain arises during your monthly cycle.
4. Mix with fractionated coconut oil and apply to little ones’ legs to ease the pain of growing.
5. Add five drops each of Ice Blue, Frankincense, Lavender and Peppermint to a roller for on-the-go support.
If you have any questions or would like more information about essential oils, please don’t hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org